Saturday 4 May 2013

HOT DOCS AWARDS - By Greg Klymkiw - I, THE JURY is not only the title of the great book by Mickey Spillane, but the title of this piece which bestows the Hot Docs Awards for the 2013 edition as selected by me.

I, THE JURY - My Choices for the Hot Docs 2013 Awards

By Greg Klymkiw

I am pleased to announce the winners of the Hot Docs Festival 2013 awards as chosen by me. The Hot Docs Awards Presentation, hosted by the late June Tracy (Octagenarian House Burlesque Artist at the lovely Constellation Room in Winnipeg, Manitoba), took place on Friday, May 3, at the Manor Gentleman's Club in Guelph, Ontario. Nine awards and no cash were presented to Canadian and international filmmakers, including awards for Festival films in competition and those recognizing emerging and established filmmakers. A selection of three award-winning films will not have added screenings on Sunday, May 5.

*****

The Best Canadian Feature Documentary Award was presented to 15 Reasons To Live (Director Alan Zweig, Producer Julia Rosenberg, Distributor: KinoSmith) - My Review: HERE


The Special I, The Jury Prize – Canadian Feature Documentary was presented to Continental (Director/Producer: Malcolm Ingram) - My Review HERE
New this year, the I, The Jury Emerging Canadian Filmmaker Award (Mid-Length Film) was presented to director Hans Olson for The Auctioneer (Distributor: National Film Board of Canada, NFB) - See my review HERE



New this year, the I, The Jury Emerging Canadian Filmmaker Award (Feature Film) was presented to director Shawney Cohen for The Manor (Distributor: KinoSmith) - My review HERE


The Best International Feature Documentary Award was presented to The Devil's Lair (Director: Riaan Hendricks, Producer: Neil Brandt) - My review HERE


The Special   I, The Jury Prize – International Feature Documentary was presented to Who is Dayani Cristal? (Director: Mark Silver Producer: Lucas Ochoa, Thomas Benski, Gael Garcia Bernal) - My review HERE


The Special   I, The Jury Prize – International Mid-Length Documentary was presented to Winter, Go Away 






(Directors: Sofia Rodkevich, Anton Seregin, Madina Mustafina, Elena Khoreva, Anna Moiseenko, Dmitry Kubasov, Askold Kurov, Nadezhda Leonteva, Alexey Zhirayakov, Denis Klebleev Producer: Marina Razbezhkina) - My review HERE

The KCND-TV I, The Jury Documentary Films Emerging Artist Award was presented to director Riaan Hendricks for The Devil's Lair - My review HERE


The I, The Jury Audience Award, voted on by one informed gentleman who declares the following film to be the most entertaining documentary of the festival: Oil Sands Karaoke (Director: Charles Wilkinson, Producer: Tina Schliessler) Read my review HERE